[Permatopia] Indiegogo Tsunami Books' crowd funding campaign-pls. spread around - the need is imminent!

Kathy Ging kathy at kathyging.com
Fri May 8 13:20:03 CDT 2015

 Tsunami Books Crowdfunding Campaign needs our support!
 Important Update, and Call to Support

 Tsunami Books' Indiegogo Crowdfunding Campaign

 Help Save and Sustain Tsunami Books Community Venue: Please share this widely.

The time has come to be completely honest about this Campaign, which, alas, much like 10 years ago, is a campaign to Save Tsunami Books.

https://www.indiegogo.com/…/help-sustain-tsunami-books-comm…

First off, thank you very much to the 107 folks who have contributed over $4900. to the Campaign so far.

The site itself has received 1700 visits, including over 300 from other countries.

At the moment we're putting a lot of energy into reaching out to Bookstore Lovers everywhere.

Question: Will Tsunami Books survive if it does not raise (at least) close to its stated goal (of $40,000.)?

Looking very carefully at the situation, I don't see how Tsunami can keep going without your help.

Which is to say, as soon as we accepted our first dollar through Crowdfunding, we committed to signing a new two-year lease by July 1, but may not be able to honor it.

Most bookstore owners are cavalier by nature--how could one be anything but a reeling optimist when surrounded by books and all the amazing different people who pass through--

but the truth is Tsunami really does need to at least come close to hitting our goal

to live beyond the next few months or year.

A lot of issues to deal with, several of which I'll list here:

1) The sale of the building soon to occur for a sum that will necessitate a significant increase in rent;

2) The fact that many of our events do not come close to paying for themselves (for instance, the many, many meetings and fundraisers we hosted for Saving Civic and the Amazon Creek Headwaters,

all for no charge, or last night's phenomenal Reading of Hershell Norwood's new play "Fell the Tallest Tree," which packed the house but did not cover the costs;

3) The need for upgrades to our venue side to increase income potential, and just general safety;

4) We are experiencing a turnover of help, and it takes a lot of time and money to train new staff;

5) The short-term uncertainty of business on South Willamette beginning this August, when the street will be remade to change traffic patterns;

6) Scott, at 61, am fortunately in excellent health, but far too often experiencing the Catch-22 of a weariness that comes from working 75 hours every single week, yet cannot afford to leave the place, mostly due to the daily need to juggle finances;

7) Also of real importance is the fact that fresh capital is needed to re-invigorate our book sales, which remain flat.

Kathy Ging, M.A., G.R.I.
541-342-8461
Email: kathy at kathyging.com